Mazanec is one of the oldest types of Czech ceremonial pastry. The oldest recipes of Mazanec come from the 15th and early 16th century. We like it today!
Make a Mazanec this year according to a great traditional recipe.
Ingredients for 2:
250 g of plain wheat flour
250 g of semi – coarse wheat flour
100 g of butter
100 g of crystal sugar
75 g of raisins
30 g of yeast
15 g of vanilla sugar
6 g of salt
1 teaspoon of rum
180 až 200 ml of milk
1 egg (for brushed)
- Grate lemon peel
- The butter must be soft
- Rinse the raisins with water and let them drain properly. Do not soak them for too long as the dough would turn brown
Let´s bake! 😊
- Sift both flours into a bowl where the dough is mixed. Mixed both flours. We form a dent in the flour and there pour about half of lukewarm milk. Add yeast and little bit sugar. Gradual by adding flour squeeze the sourdough and let it rise for at least 30 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients except the raisins. We will make a smooth dough. At the end of mixing the dough, add the raisins, so that they remain whole and that the dough is not colored.
Lightly dust the dough with flour and cover with a cloth. Let it rise for about 50 to 60 minutes.
- We create either one larger or two smaller mazanec. We try to twist the dough firmly to keep the shape of the dough. Properly brushed with whipped egg. Make a cut in the shape of a cross. Leave for 10 minutes proofing and then let it bake.
- Bake at 200 ° C. After 15 minutes we can reduce the temperature and bake at 180 ° C until golden brown. Check whether the dough is baked inside the skewers. Bake two smaller cakes for approximately 30 to 35 minutes, one large for at least 40 minutes.
Enjoy your meal! 😊